Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 large onion, diced
- • 1 pound turkey or pork bacon, cut into 2 inch slices
- • 2 cups diced carrots
- • 2 cups diced celery
- • 1/2 pound organic grass fed ground beef
- • ½ pound breakfast turkey sausage (meat removed from casings)
- • ½ teaspoon sea salt
- • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- • 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- • 1 teaspoon black pepper
- • ½ teaspoon paprika
- • 1 cup chicken broth
- • 2-3 large sweet potatoes
- • ½ cup tablespoons olive oil
1. Turn on oven to 350F. Wash then poke sweet potatoes all over with a fork then individually wrap all three sweet potatoes in foil and bake until VERY soft!
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a very large frying pan.
3. Sautee onion for 15 minutes until soft
4. Add bacon pieces to pan and sauté until cooked, about 10 minutes
5. Add carrots and celery to pan and sauté in bacon fat for 10 minutes until soft
6. Add ground beef and sausage to pan and sauté until brown, just a few minutes
7. Season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, as well as all of the fresh herbs.
8. Add chicken broth and cook down broth until 60% evaporated
9. Once sweet potatoes are fully cooked, scrap out soft insides and discard the skins. In a food processor blend the mashed sweet potatoes and 1/2 cup olive oil until well mixed and fluffy, season with salt and pepper.
10. Pour ground beef mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
11. Pour mashed sweet potato mixture over beef mixture
12. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes