10 Reasons to do the CrossFit Open
So, you are not sure if you want to or should register for the 2015 CrossFit Open. Well, you should. Here’s why:
- You will be forced to complete a movement you don’t currently, but should, have.
Don’t have Chest-to-Bar pullups or Toes-to-Bar? Yeah, they will come up, and because it is the Open you will do your BEST to get them. Trust me, you will try harder than you ever have, and your entire box will be cheering you on.
- You have already done at least one Open workout that will show up again in 2015.
There is always a repeat from past years. Have you improved since your box programmed 13.2 last September? Now is your chance to find out in a setting where you will feel a different need to lay it all on the line.
- There is a 38 year old woman in Brazil who is almost equal to your 38 year old Minnesota self, and you will tie her in the first 2 Open WODs. Then you will do everything you can to beat her ass in the 3rd workout.
You will never, ever meet her, but beating her will push you harder than you thought possible. Surprisingly, you will learn that you can go much harder than you thought.
– Bonus? She’s hunting you down too.
- You will find that you do have a secret ninja exercise.
Maybe there will be a deadlift WOD, and your normal 23,233rd place will jump up to 5,433rd. Or maybe it’s pull-ups. Whatever. Something will come up, and you will do so much better than you thought possible.
- You will find that you have a goat exercise that totally destroys you.
OK, you probably already knew this and don’t need to spend $20 to learn it again.
- When you go to your box’s “Friday Night Lights” final Open workout you will see a bunch of people who look just like you.
You don’t normally see them since you are 11am M-W-F and they are 6am M-Tu-Thursday, but you will learn that your box is not all 24 year old ex-gymnasts. In fact it’s mainly people just like you – doing the work when they can fit it in.
- One of the Open workouts is going to suck. Really, really, really suck but you will get through it.
I’m not saying 14.5 will come back from the dead to rip out your soul (OK, “my” soul), but it might. Getting through it is a HUGE ego boost.
- When you judge/count for someone else you will learn more than you thought you could about the movement.
“Locking out” at the top of a box jump been a little confusing to you? Judge someone for 50-75 reps, and it won’t be confusing any more.
- That guy you see every day but never talk to? He’s going to be cheering you on like he’s your brother, and you will do the same for him.
Does this need an explanation?
- If you have any doubts whether or not you are a “real” CrossFitter – the Open will prove to you that you are.
And that has nothing to do with where you place. It’s about showing up for 5 weeks and giving it your best.
A1. Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in two minutes of:
6 Lateral Barbell Burpees
8 Deadlifts (225/155 lbs)
– Rest 3 minutes, and then…
A2. Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in two minutes of:
4 Power Cleans (185/135 lbs)
8 Chest-to-Bar Pull-Ups
– Rest 3 minutes, and then…
A3. Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in two minutes of:
4 Front Squats (155/105 lbs – from the floor)
8 Toes to Bar
– Rest 3 minutes, and then…REPEAT A1 through A3.
BOOTCAMP RX CLASS:
WOD 1 – AMRAP 6 Minutes:
5 Heavy KB Swings (heavier than usual)
10 Heavy DB Push Press (40/30)
WOD 2 – AMRAP 12 Minutes:
Row 200m to start each round
KB Swings (55/35)
3 (first round 3)….6 (second round 6)…9 (third round 9)…and so on for 12 minutes
WOD 3 – For Time – 1 Round:
20 DB Thrusters (30/20)
10 KB Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (55/35)