Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
- 1/3 C EVOO
- 1/4 C almond flour
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 1 lb large shrimp (peeled/de-veined/tails removed)
- 1 lb andouille sausage sliced
- 6 stalks celery (rough chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded & diced)
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 4 garlic coves (peeled & minced)
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes (and liquid)
- 1 T hot sauce (ideally Cholula)
- 1/2 lb frozen okra
- 1 head cauliflower (riced)
- 1 T paprika
- 2 t italian seasoning
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- To taste salt/pepper
- In a large sauce pan heat the EVOO over medium heat along with the almond flour and cook until almond flour begins to brown (we are making a roux) – continue to cook until almond flour, oil mixture somewhat resembles peanut butter (this should take about 2-3 minutes).
- Next add your shrimp, sausage, celery, bell peppers, garlic, frozen okra and spice blend. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the strip just begins to turn pink.
- Pour your veggie broth over the sautéed meat/veggie mix and bring to a simmer – this should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in your tomato paste, diced tomatoes + liquid, and season with some pepper. Stir until well combined!
- Allow mixture to thicken up by simmering 4-5 minutes – be sure to stir often to prevent splattering and burning!
- Turn off the heat and add in your riced cauliflower!
- Stir and allow 2-3 minutes for the cauliflower to soak into the delish mix.
- Scoop a large ladle fulls (or two) into individuals and serve immediately.