Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs over Quinoa
- 4 chicken thighs (skin-on/bone-in)
- 1/3 C agave
- 1/3 C coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 2 T sesame oil
- 6 individual scallions/green onions (butts removed/then sliced thin)
- 2 red bell peppers (cored/seeded/sliced into thin strips)
- 1" ginger (peeled and minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 C quinoa (dry)
- 2 C veggie stock
- To taste salt/pepper
- Marinate chicken in a large ziplock bag (along with agave, aminos, vinegar, and 1T sesame oil). Press the air out, seal tight and allow at least two hours to marinate on the spot or up to 3-4 days if needed.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken heat 1T sesame oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from the bag (SAVE THE LIQUID) and place skin side down – cook 3-5 minutes, or until skin is VERY crisp (not burnt) and then flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes (cover pan if your chicken is super thick) or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pan, add in your quinoa and toast about one minute.
- Add in veggie stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until quinoa is fluffy – about 15 minutes.
- In a meantime, add marinade liquid to a large non stick skillet and bring to a rapid boil.
- Once boiling add veggies (peppers and scallions) and cook until peppers are fully coated in the sauce and slightly blistered. Add the chicken in toss well. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot chicken and veggies, over cooked quinoa!